This article explains the steps to properly sanitize your water softener. Sanitizing reduces bacteria build-up and should be performed initially when installing your softener, and then as needed in the future.
- Locate the Brinewell inside your salt tank. It is the 4-inch diameter dark tube with a lid on top. This lid will either pop off or screw off counterclockwise.
- Pour three (3) ounces of unscented household bleach down the Brine well tube.
- Replace the brinewell lid.
- Hold the ‘Recharge’ button until the motor starts, then let go. This will start a recharge cycle. Note that any water used in the home during a recharge cycle will not pass through the softener - it will come straight from the water source.
- After the recharge is complete (2 ½ hour duration), run a cold-water faucet downstream of the softener for 20 minutes to clear any residual bleach from the water lines.