This article outlines the preventative cleaning procedures to enhance and lengthen the performance of your unit. The steps below are preventative maintenance, and should be performed annually.
Cleaning the Venturi
1.Take the top cover off your unit by unhooking the 2 clips in back that hold the cover onto the tank below. Place the cover to the back or side of the unit, being careful not to disconnect any wires.
2. Inspect the main valve head area and bypass connections for any notable leaking or standing water that could be causing the tank to overflow. If you do see evidence of leaking, you may have a broken seal. Please visit our External Leaks article.
3.Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
4. Locate the Venturi hanging off the left-hand side of your softener head. The venturi is a gray plastic base with a white cone cap (pictured below).
5. Unscrew the cone cap and take out all seven (7) internal pieces, so you are left with just the empty gray housing. Make sure to keep these pieces in order!
6. Clean the internal parts with warm, soapy water. Feel free to use a paper clip or similar tool to clear any debris from the two black circular flow plugs, as they both have a small hole in the center.
7. Reassemble the internal parts using the exploded view (pictured above). *Please note that some parts have numbers or letters printed on them – these should face UP when reassembling.
Cleaning the Drain Hose
1. Remove the black rectangular clip that holds the drain hose elbow to the softener head pictured below). The clip pulls straight up and out.
2. Pull the entire white plastic drain hose elbow out to the right, disconnecting it from your softener’s head.
3. Use a towel inside the drain elbow port to clean any sediment or salt residue. Blow air through the elbow to confirm there are no obstructions in the drain hose.
4. Reconnect your drain hose to the valve head with the black rectangular clip.
5. Take your softener out of bypass by pulling the bypass handle back out.
6. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to turn, then let go. This recharge will last 2-2 1/2 hours and should leave your tank with 2-4 inches of water in the bottom.
Water Softener Cleanser
We recommend administering our Water Softener Cleanser every 4 months. For instructions on proper use, please visit our Water Softener Cleanser article.