An Error code generally indicates a malfunction in the electronic components, often during a recharge cycle. Use the information below to determine what your error code means, and how to clear it.
What Does it Mean?
Err05 - Control Board is not accepting signal from switch.
Err01/Err03 - Control Board not receiving signal from switch, or motor is malfunctioning.
Err04 - Receiving signal from switch, but at incorrect time.
Err07, 08, 09 - RHW42 model only, this indicated a problem with the water shutoff valve. Please visit our Shutoff Troubleshooting article to diagnose this error.
Determine the Error
- Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
- Unplug the power supply and remove the top cover:
a. On the back of the unit, unhook the two clips that hold the cover onto the tank below (Figure 1). Flex/pull the cover out and away from the softener at these clips.
b. There are two similar clips holding the front of the cover on as well. Slide the cover towards you to release these clips, being careful not to disconnect any wires. (Figure 2). It is normal for the plastic cover to produce some noise as it shifts and bends.
- Examine the top of the unit for any signs of water. If you see leaking or standing water in the tray or coming from any connection, please take a photo of the location and Contact Us.
- Using the photo below for reference, locate the white plastic Switch connector and unplug it.
- Locate the Wire Harness connector (on the back of the control board) and unplug it.
- Leave both of these connectors unplugged for 30 seconds, then plug both back in. Make sure the connections are secure - they only fit on one way.
- Confirm the Motor connector is snapped in securely.
Testing the Valve Rotation
- Plug the power supply back into the outlet and listen to the softener.
- If the motor is continuously running for more than a minute, skip to step 3.
- If you do not hear the motor kick on, continue to step 2 below.
- Hold the Recharge button down for a few seconds. Does the motor start?
- NO (or making a knocking noise); please Test the Motor.
- YES; the ‘Recharge’ should be flashing on the screen. Keep pushing the Recharge button each time the motor stops, until the flashing ‘Recharge’ disappears. Your instructions end here and the error is cleared.
- Hold the Select button until ‘000’ appears on the screen, then let go. You will see one of the following images on the screen:
4. Is the screen switching between open and closed?
a. YES; the valve is trying to find a home position. If the Error Code returns over the next several minutes, the Control Board likely needs replacing. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here.
b. NO; If the screen is not switching back and forth, the Switch and Wire Harness likely need replacing. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here.
Testing the Motor
(continuation of Step 2 from above)
- Unplug the unit and remove the top cover.
- Locate the motor on top of the Valve Head. It is the black rectangular box with red and black wires coming from the right side.
- Unscrew the two metal screws that hold the motor onto the valve.
- Hold the motor in your hand upside down, so you can see the gear on the underside. Plug the unit back in, and tap the Recharge button once.
- Does the motor spin?
- NO; you will probably hear repeat beeping – this means you need to replace the Motor. If you are still under warranty, please Contact Us. Otherwise, replacement parts can be purchased here. Your instructions end here.
- If it does start to spin, the valve may be jammed. Contact Us for additional direction.
Replacing the Wire Harness and Switch
We apologize for any confusion in our insturctions, and will pass your comments on to our development team! In the meantime, we are here to help troubleshoot or answer any questions you still have. Please visit our 'Contact Us' article for info on sending us a message or chatting with an agent.
HI, Sorry for leaving such a harsh review. I spoke to customer service rep. He was very helpful, he is sending new parts via ups. Thanks.
Please sign in to leave a comment.