The Control Board is the brain of your softener. It houses all of your preferences and controls the moving parts on the system. This is a step-by-step guide on how to install a new electronic control board.
1. Unplug the power cord from your outlet.
2. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work:
If you have a blending valve, make sure it's closed so no hard water is coming through. Refer to What is a Blending Valve for instructions.
Remove the Top Cover
a. On the back of the unit, unhook the two clips that hold the cover onto the tank below (Figure 1). Flex/pull the cover out and away from the softener at these clips.
b. There are two similar clips holding the front of the cover on as well. Slide the cover towards you to release these clips, being careful not to disconnect any wires. (Figure 2). It is normal for the plastic cover to produce some noise as it shifts and bends.
Disconnecting the Control Board
1. Pull the faceplate straight up and out from the rim.
2. To access the control panel, release the two clips on the top of the faceplate.
3. You will find the control board snapped onto the backside of the faceplate. The board is secured by four tabs on each of the corners.
Diconnecting the Wires
a. Remove the red plastic Wire Harness connector (5 colored wires).
b. Remove the red Power Supply tabs.
c. The black/red Motor wires are hardwired into your board. Follow these wires toward the softener and disconnect at the white plastic connector.
d. If you have an RHS42, remove the tank light from the hole in the rim, to free the control board:
1.Locate your new control board. On the front of the screen you'll find a protective film sheet. The film may have black diagonal line across the screen. Start at ones of the corners and peel the film away from the screen.
2. Reconnect the wires to your new board (feel free to use the graphic above for reference):
a. Press the red Wire Harness connector onto the metal prongs. This connector will only fit securely one way, with the wires running away from the board.
b. Connect the red tabs of your previous (or new) power cord. The red power supply connectors can be installed in either direction, it is okay if they are switched around.
c. Connect the end of the black/red wires from your board to the black/red wires coming from the motor on your unit.
d. If you have an RHS42, install the tank light into the rim by pushing it into the hole in front of the brine hose.
3. Snap the new board onto your cover and place the cover back on top of your softener.
4. Plug the power supply into the outlet and take the unit out of bypass. If you have a blending valve that you closed, you can now adjust it back.
1. You may be prompted by dashes ‘- - - -‘ on the screen to chose your model code. Use the Up/Down arrows to find your appropriate code.
Find your appropriate code in the list below, or in the first line of the Specification table in your manual.
|PREFERRED Plus (RHS42)
|PREFERRED Platinum (RHW42)
2. After choosing your model code, press the Select/Program button to lock it in. From there, use our Softener Programming Guide, or your owner’s manual to continue selecting your preferences.