This article guides you through the quick steps for replacing the rim on your softener.
- pliers (optional)
1. Remove the top cover:
a. On the back of the unit, unhook the two clips that hold the cover onto the tank below (Figure 1). Flex/pull the cover out and away from the softener at these clips.
b. There are two similar clips holding the front of the cover on as well. Slide the cover towards you to release these clips, being careful not to disconnect any wires. (Figure 2). It is normal for the plastic cover to produce some noise as it shifts and bends.
2. Bypass your water softener by pushing the handle in on the back:
Disconnect Valve Head
3. Unplug the unit from the wall outlet. Disconnect the motor, sensor, and wire harness connections from the head.
4. Place the top cover and wires to the side.
5. Disconnect the drain hose by releaseing the black clip in the right-hand side of the head (pictured below):
6. Disconnect the brine hose by unscrewing the white nut attached to the Venturi (pictured below). Cut the hose on the left side of the nut, and pull the hose down through the rim from below.
7. Remove the large white clamps from the tank neck by unhooking the retainer clips that hold that hold them together.
8. With both hands on the valve head, wiggle it side to side as you pull it up and off.
9. Check the position of the riser tube O-ring. It should sit about 1/4 inch down from the top of the central riser tube (pictured above).
10. Carefully set the Valve Head to the side.
11. Remove the rim/tray by unsnapping it from the tank.
12. Reposition the resin tank so it stands straight up and down and does not rest at an angle.
13. Snap the new rim onto the salt tank. This will secure the neck of the resin tank.
14. Move your new valve head onto the riser tube, and push down until it rests on the neck of the resin tank.
15. Reassemble the large white tank clamps and secure with clips around the neck.
16. Locate the black brine hose we disconnected before. Guide the hose back through the hole on the new rim. The hose should come from the brinewell, up the behind the resin tank, and through the hole on the left side of the rim.
17. Grab your ferrule nut, and push the end of the brine hose through the nut. Screw this onto the venturi (feel free to reference the photo in step 6).
18. Reattach your drain hose to the back right side of the head, and secure it with the black rectangular clip.
19. Reattach the wires (reference step 3) and plug the unit into the wall outlet.
20. Once you've confirmed there is no leaking, go ahead and reattach the top cover.