This article explains the steps to run an extended sanitization on your water softener. Extended sanitization should not be performed more than a few times during the lifetime of your softener.
- Locate the Brinewell inside your salt tank. It is the 4-inch diameter dark tube with a lid on top. This lid will either pop off or screw off counterclockwise.
- Pour three (3) ounces of unscented household bleach down the Brine well tube.
- Hold the ‘Recharge’ button until the motor starts, then let go. This will start a recharge cycle.
- Tap the Recharge button once to move into the Brine Cycle. Confirm that there is a small stream of water exiting the main drain hose.
- Set a timer for 30 minutes. Return to the softener when the timer sounds, and unplug the softener form the outlet. This pauses the brine cycle and lets the bleach solution work on the resin beads. Leave the unit unplugged for 20 minutes.
- Plug the softener back in. It will automatically resume its cycle - there is no need to push any buttons. The system will continue through the rest of the normal recharge cycle for the next 1-2 hours.
- After the recharge is complete, run a cold-water faucet downstream of the softener for 5-10 minutes to clear any residual bleach from the water lines.