The Venturi assembly produces a suction to pull the salty brine water out of your salt tank during a recharge. This article will provide steps on how to check, and increase that suction if necessary.
1. Hold the Recharge button until the motor starts to turn, then let go. This initiates a recharge. On most units, the tank will start filling.
*Note: If you notice a heavy flow out of your drain hose here, your softener has an extra Clean cycle set up. We need to skip that. Press Recharge once to move the Rinse cycle, then after the motor stops, press Recharge again to move to the Fill. Continue to step 2.
2. Advance to the Brine cycle by tapping the Recharge button one time. Check your drain hose here and see if there is a small trickle of water draining. If you cannot see the end of the drain hose, readjust it to have an air gap:
3. Remove the top cover by unhooking the two clips in the back, holding the cover onto the tank below. Place the cover to the back or side of the unit, being careful not to disconnect any wires.
4. Bypass the water softener by pushing the handle in on the back of your unit. This will stop water from coming in or out of the softener while you work.
5. Unscrew the black brine hose from the left side of your Venturi assembly. Using the brine hose like a straw, try to suck or sip salt water up through the hose to confirm there are no obstructions.
6. Now we will check for suction at the Venturi port. You may want to place a towel under the Venturi port in case water leaks out.
7. One of three things (listed below) will happen next. Slowly pull the bypass handle out in the back of your unit.
a. Water flows out the Venturi port consistently (at least 15 seconds).
i. Bypass the system again and remove the Venturi cap. Check that all pieces with numbers and letters on them are facing up inside the Venturi.
ii.Replace cap and open bypass again, listening for suction. Skip to #8.
b. Suction, then water means your drain line is blocking water from exiting correctly.
i. Bypass the unit again and disconnect the drain hose elbow by removing the black clip (pictured).
ii. Look inside the elbow port and check for any debris.
iii. Blow through the drain hose elbow (like a straw) to free any obstructions.
iv. Reattach drain hose elbow and open bypass again, listening for suction.
c. Consistent Suction is the desired outcome. If the suction is strong, move to #8. If it is weak:
i. Bypass the unit and unscrew the white cap of your venturi. Pull up and out on the gray screen. Inside the red/blue disc is a circular black flow plug. Remove that black plug, set aside, and reassemble the venturi without it.
ii. Take the unit out of bypass and you should hear a stronger suction.
iii. Screw the brine hose back on and reattach the top cover. Leave the bypass pulled out.
8. Leave the softener to automatically finish the recharge over the next 2 hours. There is no need to push any buttons. The excess water should drain over the next 2 hours, leaving 2-4 inches left in the bottom of the tank.
9. Depending on how much water you start with, you may need to run multiple recharges. Over the next few days, if you notice your tank continuously filling with water in between cycles, you may want to check for Internal Leaks.