How does our bypass assembly work, and when should you use it? Take a look at the article below for tips on how to properly use the handle to control water flow through your softener.
NOTE: The bypass is normally only activated when doing maintenance, winterizing, or leaving home for an extended period of time. When in normal service, the handle should stay in the OUT position.
A single bypass system comes included with your softener:
1. Push the white handle IN towards your plumbing pipes to bypass water to the unit. You will see about an inch of the bypass pipe stick out the opposite side of the handle.
2. Pull the handle OUT away from your plumbing for normal service flow through the unit.
*Note: If your bypass handle is stuck, use a shoe sole or similar soft object to tap the handle and free it. Refrain from using a hammer as this may break the plastic.
RHS42 / RHW42 Bypass
This bypass has a Blending Valve on the side opposite of the bypass handle. It allows you to adjust the hardness of the water exiting your unit. If you desire slightly harder water, the blending valve can add a small stream of hard water to the softened water as it exits the unit.
- To open the blending valve, you’ll have to unlock it by turning the hex nut counter-clockwise (pictured above).
- Once unlocked, you can adjust the hardness of the product water by turning the blending valve counter-clockwise. The valve will rotate 6 times max – be careful not to rotate too far or the valve may unscrew from the bypass and cause a leak.
- The further you unscrew the blending the valve, the more hardness will be added to the product water exiting the softener.
- Once the desired position is achieved, hold the bypass handle with one hand and tighten the hex nut clockwise snug against the end cap with a wrench. This will lock the position of the blending valve.